10 Most Common Stains and How to Get Rid of Them
We all have stubborn stains, but there are lots of easy ways to fight them. Many of these stain cures are inexpensive and are done with common household products.
- Work detergent into the spot. Soak in cold water and detergent overnight. Put more detergent in the spot. Warm wash.
- Soak fabric in cold water and a cap full of ammonia. Warm wash.
- Clean the spot with a paste of water, cornstarch, or baby powder. Warm wash.
- Leave meat tenderizer on the spot for 15- 20 mins. Warm wash.
- Rub an egg yolk into the stain. Rinse with cold water. Warm wash.
- Blot with white vinegar. Rinse with cold water. Warm wash.
- On hard surfaces or leather scrub with a soapy sponge.
- Take a tbsp. of cream of tartar and a tsp. of lemon juice and put it into cold water. Soak the garment overnight.
- Spray the spot with hairspray or soak in nail polish remover. Cold wash.
- Blot with alcohol. Cold wash.
- Work ammonia and water into the stain, then rinse. Then work in vinegar. Warm wash.
- Work the stain with a mixture of dry, mild detergent, water, and vinegar. Let sit for 25- 30 mins, Rinse in cold water. Warm wash.
- For stone clean with hydrogen peroxide or bleach, be careful doing this on dark stone.
- Work the stain with alcohol, if the material is thick enough to withstand it, if not just dab. Cold wash with bleach.
- Pretreat the stain with liquid soap. Cold wash.
- Rub the stain with hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. Cold wash.
6. Latex paint-
- Soak the garment in water and a mild detergent for three hours, brush with a toothbrush, and then soak again overnight.
- Scrape excess grease off with a knife. Warm wash.
- Rub the stain with white chalk. Warm wash.
- Rub the stain with cornmeal or cornstarch depending on the consistency of the material. Leave on overnight. Rinse. Cold wash. Can also be done with baby powder or baking soda.
- For thicker fabrics hairspray may also work to remove oil stains.
- For stains or stone wash with mineral spirits, ammonia, or nail polish.
- For old stains dab with vinegar.
- For new stains dab with ammonia.
- Soak in baking soda and water.
- Warm wash with 4 tbsp. of salt.
9. Red Wine-
- Spray stain with white wine and blot with paper towels.
- Soak in club soda. Cold wash.
- Work with wet salt. Rinse cold.
- Stretch out stain, Work in salt. Pour boiling water over salt.
- Rub with a salt and vinegar paste. Let sit for 30 mins. Wash cold.
- Soak in lemon juice. Let sit the light. Wash cold.
The Best Store Bought Stain Fighters
- Clorox 2 Stain Fighter and Color Booster
- The Tide Stain Brush
- Spray and Wash
- Fels-Naptha (only $0.99)